Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The World's Fastest Indian - Remembering Burt Munro

I’m a little behind the times when it comes to watching movies. I’ve always wanted to see The World’s Fastest Indian and finally did the other night. To say this movie is one of the best motorcycle related movies is an understatement. Anthony Hopkins’ portrayal of Burt Munro is almost dead on. I found myself with tears in my eyes many times throughout the movie.

I think that the theme that stands out the most is the shear determination of Burt Munro and the fact that he never took no for an answer. He just lived life the way he felt he should and he really didn’t care what anyone else thought. When he set his mind to something he made sure that he completed the goal he had set out to complete.

The one liners from the movie are classic…

Where do you hail from, where is your hometown? Invercargill, I-N-V-E-R-C-A-R-G-I-L-L. Sometimes I spell it with one 'L' to save ink.

Aren't you scared you'll kill yourself if you crash? No... You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime.

If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable.

If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone.

Seriously, can you believe that his 1920 Indian Scout could go that fast? Amazing!! His fastest complete run at Bonneville was 190.07 MPH. He did not set a record of 201 MPH at Bonneville as the film portrays, but did reach 205.67 MPH on a run that he did not complete. He did unfortunately crash on that attempt.

I’m including in this post the documentary short from the movie. Burt Munro was a man that I could have sat and listened to for hours. I love people that have great stories to share with the world. I also love people that inspire me to forge on and live my dreams! Even though Burt Munro passed away in December of 1978, he is still someone that we can all look up to and use as inspiration to push toward our goals in life!



10 comments:

Ann said...

This, in my humble opinion
Is the best bike movie ever made.
No movie has ever stated the love of bikes as well as this one.

Witchazel said...

As a Kiwi and a bike rider I am so very proud of Burt, the film did show the real Kiwi spirit... we are all taught that we can build, fix or totally recreate anything with a piece of Number 8 fencing wire LOL... Glad you love Burt and the movie it made me homesick for the lemon tree in my childhood backyard LOL

Lady R (Di) said...

Great, great movie. One you can watch over and over and still come away satisfied.

Word veri... "astraly" Hey, that's where Burt lives, isn't it? LOL!

Mr. Motorcycle said...

I've never seen the movie myself. Now I must!

Ann said...

Yeah, um, Big D has apparently been doing some commenting under my login. :)

I agree with him, though, this is one of my favorite movies. Anthony Hopkins is a winner in the role of Munro. We saw it at the theater, and then bought the DVD as soon as it came out.

GREAT movie! :)

Canajun said...

This is a great motorcycle movie, no doubt. But what makes it even better in my opinion is that it's a movie that you can enjoy with non-motorcycle folks, of all ages, as well.

Burt Munroe was an amazing guy for sure.

fasthair said...

Ms, IHG: I can't count how many times I've watched this movie. I enjoy it as much today as the first time I seen it. You know it's good when a little ol' lady customer who has no interest in bikes or racing comes in to tell you she thought the movie was great and that I need to see it. Might have to pop it in the ol' DVD played tonight and enjoy it again.

fasthair

Dean "D-Day" said...

I found this little beauty a few years ago and was hooked. I bought it and have watched it countless times. Best motorcycle movie ever.

Chessie (Chesshirecat) said...

I watched the movie over at Barry Wardlaw's house, with a bunch of the crew...have you ever tried watching this movie with a crew who builds fast engines for a living? Some of these big guys shed tears!

Since that movie came out, many of these guys, including Barry, have been inspired to build an engine or two for the Salt Flats...what an honor to have worked with these guys, who so succinctly have tried to honor Mr. Monro's efforts and accomplishments in two wheeled speed.

I have watched this movie over and over again, each time I come away with something more than what I came with.
Again, you have brought an excellent blog to the pages of blogdom, I truely enjoy reading you!

Webster World said...

He must have been something to know. What stories he must have told with a pint or two in him.