Saturday, August 16, 2008

The Ride Home...

Thursday, August 7th we got on the road headed back east toward the great state of Iowa. We got to Wall and stopped for breakfast at Wall Drug. Blonde's love Wall Drug and they also love hanging out with good looking bikers.

The next stop was Oacoma, SD and Al's Oasis.


We made it to Mitchell, SD about 4:00 and decided to tough it out and ride to Sioux Falls and stay the night there. I'd like to thank the biker chick at the gas station that told us the exit to take in Sioux Falls to find a hotel to stay at. We stayed at a Sleep Inn and it rocked.

Along the way I had plenty of time to think about things. I kept thinking how tough and strong biker women are. It takes a lot to sit on a tiny pillion seat for miles and miles and not bitch about it at all. A trip like the ride to Sturgis is a test of how strong willed you are and how much you can take a long the way. If you have ever ridden any distance you can attest the fact that it is an endurance thing. Everytime I saw a bike on a trailer I felt sorry for it. It was like it was crying out...RIDE ME...why aren't you riding me like the people are riding that bike??? LOL...if motorcycles on trailers could talk that is seriously what they would be saying!! It's very spiritual to me being out in the elements...feeling the wind, feeling the rain, smelling all the smells, hearing all the noises of nature. You never experience that kind of freedom in a car. Not even with all the windows rolled down. When you look down at the road and watch the center dividing lines fly by it's a rush. I bet it's even more of a rush riding your own and that will happen for me one of these days but for now I'm somewhat content riding two up.

I thought about all the cool people I met on this trip. I thought about how thankful I am to be able to freely ride to Sturgis and enjoy it so much. I said some prayers for our troops. I thought about how much I miss my family back in Iowa and that I need to spend time with them. I thought about my 40th birthday that is coming up way too soon. I thought about getting a tattoo. I thought about all of my blogger friends and thought about us all getting together next year. I thought about what I was going to write here. I thought and thought some more about so many things and finally we arrived home on Friday, August 8th....Home Sweet Home. 1749.6 miles and we were back where we started the Saturday before.


I spent Saturday really pretty depressed. I missed being in Sturgis...I missed all the bikes and the people. I even cried and that's when Dan said to me...Stephanie...only 51 weeks to go until the next one and we are there! That cheered me up big time.

Thanks for following my trip along the way. It was fun posting all the pictures I took on my phone at various points along the trip. I really do hope that the Motorcycle Blogging Family that we've created can get together next year and enjoy the 69th Anniversary Sturgis Rally together.

Much love!! IHG :)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ms IHG,

Enjoyed going on your trip with you. I’ve been to Black Hills Rally many times so I’ve pretty much seen all there is to see out there. But reading your posts and looking at your photos brings back a lot of great memories. I couldn’t agree more about the bikes in trailers. After all, half the trip is the adventure of the ride there. Glad to know you had a safe fun trip.

fasthair

Anonymous said...

Hi Stephanie, Sorry the trip is over for this year but looking forward to next year and spending the winter planning next years trip makes the time pass faster. Seems like yesterday sturgis was almost here and now its gone. I really enjoy the enthusiasm in your writing about the trip. I also agree about the trailors. We make the trip out and back part of the vacation instead of just a drive. Take care and ride safe. dan

Lady R (Di) said...

Yes! Thanks for taking us along! My two brothers also were there, and they told me about the awesome riding to be had in SD! Hopefully, you have enough memories that will nurture you along until next year. Glad you had a great time this year though!

"Joker" said...

I enjoyed your preview of for me what is still yet to come. I can see why you enjoyed it and missed it so much after, but you know the saying, all good things...

Like you, I'm hoping as many of our blogger friends as possible can make it out there. I was at a tattoo party last night and Wingman said he might be up for going. Like I said, all I need is a Wingman!

So, did you get yourself a "Nice Trailer PUSSY!" Tee Shirt??? LOL!

Dean "D-Day" said...

The enthusiasm in your writing was infectious and I found myself getting anxious for your next post. Thanks for the pics and sharing your journey.

Mr. Motorcycle said...

Thanks for all the pics along the way, and glad you enjoyed the trip to sturgis, ON the bike. Thanks for bringing those of us who didn't go along with you and sharing with us some wonderful memories. Glad you are home safe.

Ann said...

Thanks for the shout-out to all the biker women. Yes, riding a pillion seat 450 miles in a weekend kicks my ass, but I do it!

Hopefully I'll be riding my own to Sturgis next year. I really hope all the bloggers can make it, too. That will be a trip to remember!

Thank you so much for taking us with you! Your posts on this trip have been truly amazing. It felt like I was right there with you!

Ride safe!

Anonymous said...

Loved your blog, I agree with you even with all the windows rolled down on in the car, you don't get to experience all the smells, sights and sounds that you would on a motorcycle. I look forward to reading more of your posts.