Monday, August 11, 2008

Day 4 It's a Great Day to Visit a National Treasure

Because of the time change I would wake up every morning around 4 a.m. I think Dan was digging it because he really never had to wait for me to get ready in the morning. I was usually showered up and downstairs packing up my saddlebag for that day's journey. Tuesday the 5th was Mt. Rushmore Day. I was excited to go on a scenic cruise that morning. Feeling the wind in my face makes me oh so happy. So we hit the road early on our adventure to Rushmore.
The view from our room in Rapid City.

On the way to Rushmore there was one cloud looming over us. There are no other clouds in the sky...just this cloud. It begins to sprinkle and I say to Dan...Just keep going we will ride out of it. WRONG...it starts pouring so we pull over and throw on our rain gear...the only problem with that is now our seats are all wet so I now have a wet ass because I didn't put on my rain pants. LOL We finally ride out of the rain when we get to Keystone. Keystone is a tiny little town with the population of around 311.





I remember visiting Mt. Rushmore as a child. I didn't appreciate the greatness of what I was seeing. I didn't realize how lucky we are to have such a wonderful monument until I revisited Rushmore back in 2004. One thing to remember is that it does cost to enter Mt. Rushmore.($5 a person) I forgot to see how much it was so when we got up to the gate to pay I only had $7.00 out. I had to do some pretty tricky maneuvering to get the saddlebag open and my money out of my purse but damn, I must say, I have talent! :)

When we walked in toward the monument we heard beautiful music and discovered a family musical group called Airo & Brule'. They were playing the most beautiful contemporary Native American music that I've ever heard.

At one point I had to walk away because their music was bringing huge tears to my eyes and I kept thinking how much the United States has wronged the Native American people.

Look...it's the Iowa flag!!!
I think these guys might be a British rock group called the What? Not sure...they really had everyone watching them though and we saw them again in Keystone.

After taking in the whole Rushmore experience we decided to head back into Keystone for lunch.

2nd to the Harley is the Indian...LOVE EM!
And I couldn't pass up another cheesy photo opp! LOL

After we looked around a little in Keystone we hopped back on Zippy P and headed back to guess where??? You'll never guess???? Give up yet???? LOL Ok...it was back to STURGIS!!!! LOL

4 comments:

Ann said...

I have never seen Mt. Rushmore, and have always wanted to. I guess it'll be one of our stops while at Sturgis one of these years.

I love Native American music...I have several CD's.

Indians totally rock! Nice pic!

I love the cheesy photo op! Cute!

You are so funny! Your excitement is tangible in your writing! It's a lot of fun to read! :)

Lady R (Di) said...

Like you Steph, I didn't appreciate the significance of the monument when I saw it as a kid. I would love to have another chance at it now. Someday! Great pics!

Dean "D-Day" said...

It's been a while since I've been there but even as a young guy, I still found it inspiring.

Love the Indians!!

"Joker" said...

I have always wanted to see this place, and one reason why is going to sound major corny.

When I was a kid I loved the "Buck Rogers" TV show, mainly because I just couldn't get enough of Erin Gray in her skin-tight spandex space suit. God, she's 58 now, and still very attractive. Anyway, one show involved a "flashback" sequence to the US President's secret bunker deep below Mt. Rushmore, sometime in the late 1990's.

Now I know it wasn't true, but I've always thought it was a super cool idea. What better place for a secret hideout for the Pres? When I finally get to go next year, I'm going to be doing some poking around to see if I can find the "secret entrance." LOL!! Maybe that's the real reason why it took them so long to build it!