Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Remembering Coach Ed Thomas

Parkersburg, IA made national news again but this time the tragedy is even more horrible. Being from Northeast Iowa when you would hear the words Aplington-Parkersburg you would think of their amazing football team. The Falcons were lead by Head Coach Ed Thomas. Today Coach Thomas was shot and killed by a former player. There are no details yet as to why the shooter killed the 2005 NFL High School Coach of the Year. I just know it makes me wonder what goes through a person's head when they decide to take another person's life. I'm blown away. I found a video on youtube of a football game from last season after they had rebuilt the stadium that was lost in the tornado...it shows a little of what a great man Ed Thomas was. My thoughts and prayers are with the Thomas family, the shooters family, and the town of Parkersburg. This Iowa Icon will be missed by so many.



Aplington-Parkersburg is the alma mater of four current NFL players -- Casey Wiegmann of the Denver Broncos; Jared DeVries of the Detroit Lions; Brad Meester of the Jacksonville Jaguars; and Aaron Kampman of the Green Bay Packers. All played for Thomas.

10 comments:

Ann said...

I saw this on the news. It's terrible and my thoughts are with both families. What a mess.

Mastercheif said...

I heard about this today on Fox news. What a tragedy. Do they know who and why yet?

Learning to Golf said...

Coach Thomas appears to be a very special man. That video of his kick off speech gave a perfect glimpse of what he was about.

Thanks for Honoring him.

My expressions LIVE said...

Being from Iowa myself...this really hit home. Their football team was amazing...always has been...very sad day and I feel for all who are touched by this...xoxo

B.B. said...

Really awful! What a loss.

Mr. Motorcycle said...

That's crazy shit. Hard to believe people can be this way.

Willy D said...

I’ve got no idea. Why is this stuff happening more and more?

mq01 said...

wow, thats horrible.

Baron's Life said...

and missed he will be...cause he was a child of God created in his own image...when will all the violence stop.

Unknown said...

You said "blows me away" -- an ironic choice of words -- but the statement makes a strong point. This sad explosive event should elicit a strong explosive response.